Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Pathology

This is a genre of writing, relatively new to our era, in which you write about the experience of having an illness. It's interesting because until now I never really thought of the impersonalization of hospital settings to be a problem. I've experienced an ER a couple times and while there is always something to complain about, I found everything to be pleasantly routine. They ask the questions, get to the problem here and decide what to do about it. Though my goal is to usually get help and get home as soon as possible. Other people though don't have the luxury to just go home and forget. Some people are living with these problems for the rest of their life and so have to work with medicals professionals regularly. I can imagine after extended stay it can be frustrating when someone helps you pee every so often but never asks you how you're dealing with everything. We are not robots programmed to accept when our health fails us. It causes us mental pain, and makes living in the real world difficult. No one wants to talk about tragedies. No one wants to be reminded about death. But ill people have it thrown at them daily. It's not a choice for them. That's why writing is a beautiful thing, you are given a blank slate to put down your experience as you've only experienced it. Writing takes you on a journey through understanding and coping that it vital to maintaining a grip on the world. This can all be translated to mental health as well. I think that's how many of us found writing in the first place. It became a place to talk and work things about. Tell secrets and stories no one else would understand. Writing has helped me heal in tremendous ways, I honestly don't know where I'd be without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment