Sunday, September 27, 2015

Healing and da Brain

It has been a long time since I thought about the brain in it's most scientific form. Typically I think of it as this thing in my head that makes me feel all sorts of things I'd rather ignore from time to time. I used to know all the parts of the brain, I even had them memorized, my hippocampus put into good use. Time passed and college stuffed my mind full over other useful/less knowledge.
I find it interesting, while not surprising, that 'intellectual enterprises have sovereignty over emotions.' It's not uncommon for people to be embarrassed or feel shame about their feelings. Emotions are a complicated thing, and they seem to also be working on a bias and not logic. "Emotions aren't logical", this is something people have said, and by doing so they undermine how they feel. Of course emotions have logic and reason! You are sad when someone hurts you, mad when they disrespect you, happy when they make you laugh, sounds like logical responses to me. Sometimes I feel like people spend too much time worrying that what they feel is invalid, which creates problems of self-worth, and all of this just takes away from the healing process we are all trying to undergo.
I also find it really interesting that psychologists are able to infer exactly how each part of the brain lends itself to the healing process. And a lot of it seems to do with memory and through what lends we remember things. When you're a infant/child your hippocampus isn't fully formed so the amygdala-thalamus is responsible for memory, which is mainly emotional responsive. Which is exactly how babies are. They cry easily because they don't understand any better. An emotional response is almost entirely what they are capable of.
"If we did not believe in learning and remembering, we could not believe in healing". This makes me infer that a large part of the healing process is taking past and potentially traumatic events and learning how to remember them, like finding a helpful way of thinking about them. Of course emotion goes along with this because it is what often causes memories to stand out. If you can't understand the emotion behind it then you can never hope to learn how to heal it. This is why making sure you understand your emotions, whatever it is you're feeling, are entirely valid.

No comments:

Post a Comment